Or, How much does a website cost, anyway?
I know you’re more than a little anxious about it — of course you are! — but the simple fact is there’s no single answer. Everything depends what you need from your site: how big it is, the design you choose, the kind of functionality you need, and the amount of custom work it takes to build your site.
And I never forget the fact that you are different from every other client: Some of you want just the shell of a site that you can update on your own, some want to leave everything to a pro. Some of you have a lot of ambitious dreams, while others just want a simple, easy-to-use site. Tell me about your vision and your budget, and we’ll talk about building a site that matches what you need.
Here are some examples of what you can expect at different price levels*:
Starter Projects: around $2000 – $3000
- Sites based on pre-existing WordPress themes, customized for your brand and content
- Smaller sites consisting mostly of images and text
- Limited functional “extras” or custom features
- Faster turnaround time
- DESIGNED FOR: New small businesses, non-profits, and individuals with a modest budget.
More Ambitious, More Interactive: up to $7500
- Custom design & layout
- Medium-sized sites with more content and multiple page layouts
- Multimedia features such as galleries, embedded video, etc.
- Longer turnaround time, as needed for more consultation, needs analysis, design revisions, and training time
- Higher level of functionality, plugin implementation, and custom feature development
- DESIGNED FOR: Small- to Medium-sized businesses that want a custom, appealing website with interactive features targeted to their markets.
And Beyond: Let’s Pull Out ALL the Stops!
The largest project start with a high level of attention given to features, strategy, testing, and user experience, and go even farther. More custom programming, which may include e-commerce, members-only features, direct social media integration, custom web app or mobile app development, etc.
Hourly rate: $100, 1/2 hour minimum increment
- Available for existing clients only, when you need a few hours of support, updates, layout tweaks, etc., but aren’t yet ready to start a whole new project.
* A unique proposal, price, and schedule are developed for each project: these are examples, not fixed-price packages. The ballpark figures on this page are designed to give you an idea of the services you can expect for the scope of your project, and are subject to change.